Saturday, August 18, 2007

Testing Subconscious Gender Bias

In response to an interesting discussion on cultural gender biases on Edward Winkleman, my friend Steven LaRose posted a poll asking one's preference of two still life paintings to test the subject.

Though, since they are in two fairly different styles it will be hard to isolate whether people have a preference for style or whether it's a gender based impulse. It certainly helps that I'm not familiar with either of these artists and so their genders are anonymous.

1 comment:

Denise Williams said...

I wanted to vote, but they didn't give an option for a tie. I think both paintings are equally well executed for the styles they are rendered in. Although the question of gender comes in leaving me wonder which was painted by a male or female as it's been my experience that in art, there is really is no gender, only expression.